Tuesday, April 9, 2013

From old dresser to TV cabinet

I am so excited to share my first furniture transformation on this blog!

I started with this dresser that I have had for years. It used to be part of my old bedroom set but I no longer have room for such a bulky horizontal piece in the bedroom and it doesn't match my bedroom decor anymore.

I no longer had any need for a dresser, but I was in desperate need of a tv cabinet. And so, the transformation began!

I started with this old dusty brown dresser....



And I created this beautiful grey antique-style tv cabinet. 

Keep reading to find out how I did it....

I refinished this dresser using an awesome all-in-one painting product: Rust-Oleum Furniture Transformations.



This is an all-in one kit that includes all of the products you need in one little box. The kit includes a deglosser and scrub pad, bond coat, optional decorative glaze and cheesecloth for application, and a protective top coat. This is especially great for a beginner because it saves you from having to make the investment to buy all of these products separately.

These kits come in a pretty good range of colors. And you're not just limited by the colors on the top of the box. There is a more extensive selection of colors that they can mix for you at the Home Depot from the Rust-Oleum cabinet transformations collection.
My store had a book of swatches of all of the available colors.





For this project, I wanted a medium grey so I chose the color Castle. I bought just one kit but I would not recommend doing a project any bigger than this with one kit because on the second bond coat I was literally scraping the bottom of the can to try finish the whole piece. I also cut it extremely close with the glaze.

All I had to do to repaint my dresser was to follow the instructions on the kit. Its that simple.
You can find a great instructional video here

My favorite product in this kit was the decorative glaze. Applying the glaze drastically changed the appearance of the painted furniture. After I painted it the flat color it looked ok, but once I applied the glaze over top it looked like a beautiful antique piece. I used the standard brush on and wipe off technique in the above video and I was really happy with the result.

Here's the flat light grey bond coat before I applied the decorative glaze. See the difference between the color here and the finished product?


Using the Rust-Oleum transformation kit definitely simplified this project, but this still was a very time consuming project. To do all of the different steps and wait for the dry times of all the separate coats, this took me about a week. But all of my hard work paid off in the end. I love the way it turned out and now it matches perfectly with my grey and yellow living room decor! 







No comments:

Post a Comment